September 17, 2010

from baby blankets to pillows | DIY project

I have a mile long list of things to get done around the house(in my head, to write it down would be too much of a commitment). Craft projects, organizing, home improvement, etc. This is one of those projects that was started but needed finishing. The boys have outgrown their baby blankets. They each have one blankie that they take to bed every night but other than those there are tons of baby blankets just sitting in a drawer. We decided to turn a couple of them in to floor pillows. In order to do this easily you need the type of blankets that have separate front and back fabrics.

The only supplies we needed were the blanket; needle and thread; poly-fil; and scissors.


Rip the seam out on a two inch section of the blanket then start stuffing with the poly-fil. We used about 3/4ths of the 32 oz bag. The first one we made we only used about half a bag and it has flattened down a bit more than I like so we overstuffed this one.


After stuffing it with poly-fil sew up the seam and you're done!  I am not showing my sewn seam because the only thing I can sew is a button on.


The boys sleep with these and carry them from room to room.


 I'm not sure how long they'll last since I don't think I can just throw them in the washer. I'm sure we'll de-stuff them when they get too dirty and make them into something else.

1 comment: